Monday, June 1, 2009

Expectations

Wow, so it's almost midnight and I start the first day of my internship tommorrow. I'm excited for this for so many reasons but before I share more about that, let me tell you why I've started this blog. School got out about a week and a half ago and instead of heading home, I went to Georgia for memorial day weekend. The main reason why I was there was to go to the huge barbeque that some of my cousins planned for my entire extented family. Let me tell you, it was unbelieveable. Both of my parents were born and raised in Macon, Georgia but moved to Chicago when they graduated high school so to put it plainly, my roots definitely reside in the peach state. When I was younger I spent most holidays in Georgia with my family but the combination of me growing up, my parents getting divorced and my grandfather passing away changed that quite dramatically. I'm at the point now where I usually don't visit GA unless there is a death or wedding. This barbeque really touched me in ways that I never expected it would. I was really excited to go because to be quite honest, with my intership and everything that comes with the fall semester at college, there is no way, I was going to get to go to Georgia until at least Thanksgiving and thats far from a guarentee. One of the main reasons why my cousin Wayne said that he got this whole BBQ together was because when one of my aunts died earlier in the year, he just got sick of only seeing all his family together when someone passed away. This hit me pretty hard, because I really don't see my family unless something like a death or wedding happens. Unacceptable. I can think of all the things that I have done over the years instead of visiting my family and most of the fun and cool things that I put before visiting and talking to matter family matter very little right now. Another thing that I took away from the BBQ and the trip as a whole is the fact that things that are important in my life and the way that I spend my time need to change a little bit. I think about things that I do on a regular basis like watch UFC, watch specific t.v. shows, facebook and twitter, play video games and ultimately all of these things are doing nothing to build and further the kingdom of God so why am I wasting my time? Yep, can't think of a good enough answer to keep doing all these things as much as I do so I'm cutting them out. Now this doesn't mean that I'm cutting these things out completely because I still love a good UFC fight but I won't be disappointed if I miss it anymore and I will periodically check my facebook and twitter but it won't be something I do everyday. I got bigger and better things to do. Blogging is one of the things that I feel is going to help me grow as a man of God and just as a person in general. It's going to give me an oppertunity to reflect on my day and to just share what God is speaking to me and what he wants me to share with the world. My desire is to have this blog be an inspiration to others and to be a way for people to get a look into my awesome life(get excited!). This summer is going to be great. I'm interning at Metro Community Church mainly working with the youth. I'm expecting God to move in my life like never before. A quote that my friend Nina told me comes to mind when I think of expectancy and its this, "The spirit of expectancy is the breeding place for miracles." Now granted, I don't really have too many miracles that I see right now in my life that I need to happen...well, maybe one but I won't go there this blog, lol, I know that I desire to see miracles like peoples financial needs being met without explanation or a crazy healing so therefore when these needs come up, I will believe expectanctly that they will be met but in the meantime, I'm believing that God is going to use me in some amazing ways and I am believing that I'm going to form some amazing life-lasting friendships this summer. I know that God is going to do some great stuff this summer and I'm pumped to experience whatever he has for me. Pray for me as I go through this journey because I know that its not all going to be easy some tasks are going to be overwhelming but Philipians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." and I'm going to hold on to that this summer and in my life in general and I know the Lord will see me through. Well I'm getting tired and I still have to talk to the "big man upstairs"(God). In the coming blogs I will talk more about my passions, hopes, dreams and everything else that defines me. My life has been a pretty great journey in the 19 years that its been running and I know its only going to get better. If you choose to read this blog regularly, all I can say is to enjoy the ride...
In Christs Name
Joe
Philipians 4:13

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Keep it up Joe. You inspired me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete