Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Legacy

So, one of the things that I'm doing this summer is developing three 30 minute devotionals for the middle school and high school students that are helping out with the VBS at the church . As soon as Todd told me about this last week, I almost immediately wanted to talk about Legacy. We just wrapped a series called 30 days to Live at Metro and I thought that it would be an awesome follow-up to that series and also its something that I feel that teens can benefit from learning about now so that when they are older, they can be satisfied with their Legacies. According to websters, Legacy means something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past ex. the legacy of the ancient philosophers That's a little too formal for me so I'm going to give my opinion of what a Legacy is. When I think of a Legacy, I think of what a person, place or thing is remembered for. This perception of the object is usually brought to light when someone, retires from a job, after years in a certain sphere of influence or most frequently when someone dies. Obituaries are apart of a persons legacy. The things in an obituary will be things that people will remember about that person. Who their family was, where they work, characteristics and personality traits, accomplishments. All these things are apart of a Legacy. Now, what you do and who you are while you are living and breathing is what determines what your legacy is. If you lied, cheated and stole all your life, then that's what you will be remembered for. If you were an amazing basketball player and everyone loved you because of it (Michael Jordan), then that's what you will be remembered for. As I was writing out some ideas as far as where to take these teachings on legacy and what it's going to look like when I'm finished, I began to think. What is my Legacy? What are people going to say about me when I die and they are at my funeral reflecting about my life. One thing I know for sure is that most of my friends will definitely talk about my obnoxious laugh and my numerous embarrassing comments and incidents but I want my life to count for so much more. I know that so far in my life, I have accomplished a lot of great things such as serving at my church, attending college and living a life that is pleasing to God (most of the time) but I want to change the world. Probably in ways that I don't even know yet. I think about the Legacy of Christ and what he is remembered for. One of the main things that I think about is the fact that he served others. Mark 10:45 says For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve and to give his life a ransom for many There are many insistences that you can point in the bible that show that Christ served and did it gladly. He washed the disciples feet, feed the five thousand and so many other things. Christ's Legacy is so much more than just serves others but its a big part of it and something that I truly want to be remembered for. Heck, I want my Legacy to look a lot like Christ's its all when its all said and done but don't we all? I'm not satisfied with my legacy how it is because I know there is still work to do for the kingdom of GodI know that with God's help, I know that my life is going to count for something great when I leave this earth n go to be with the Lord. So I will leave you with this? What is your Legacy? Are you Happy with it? What are you going to do to change it. I love the song Legacy by Nicole Nordeman so here are the lyrics of the chorus for you to reflect on. Until next time.

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy


In Christs Name,
Joe
Philippians 4:13


Currently Listening to Addison Road by Addison Road.


Currently Reading Seven Practices to Effective Ministry by Andy Stanley, Lane Jones and Reggie Joiner.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Joe. That will be a good series. And I like the currently reading/listening to. You must have gotten that idea from someone awesome! lol good post keep em coming

    ReplyDelete